Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Katie Plays In The Rain!

*All Still Images Will Be Posted HERE*

So the story of this shoot began with an idea. Last week Noelle from Remembering the Day Photography and myself decided to traipse around downtown Toledo hunting for new shoot locations. One of our first stops was to check out the Amtrak station downtown. This location doesn't look like it has changed much since 1950, and I thought to myself, "Wouldn't it be cool if we got a bride to do a Trash the Dress shoot here, with a 1940's spin on it."

Well from there, things took off. I contacted one of our brides from last year, Katie, and asked if she would be interested in this type of shoot. She immediately jumped on the opportunity. So my next task was to coordinate hair and makeup. Thankfully I knew someone, KD Alexander's. Teresa was very excited to have the chance to do something fun and funky for us, and they did an amazing job putting the finishing touches onto our photo session.

The next thing I needed was a sweet veil. Birdcage veils were extremely popular in the 40's, so I threw an alchemy request up on Etsy to see if anyone wanted to put something together for me. After several bids I fell in love with the work of Cindy Boggs, a custom veil designer. She knew exactly what we wanted, and put it together all on very short notice. I would highly recommend her to any prospective brides looking for a unique veil to top off that amazing gown.

Now I had to tie everything together with props, so I hit Craigslist. This is such an awesome resource as I was able to track down some cool vintage luggage for $10.00.

By the time I had everything nailed down, the bright sunny forecast for our scheduled shoot date had changed to cold and rainy. Fortunately, I love a good challenge and looked at this as an opportunity to try some things that I couldn't do on a warm sunny day. I headed out to the Maumee Antique Mall where I found an awesome vintage Umbrella for another $10.00 and I was good to go.

The only thing we weren't able to line up was at Snook's Dreamcars down in BG. We were planning on using their 1940 Packard Convertible as a prop, but unfortunately they don't like to take their toys out in the rain, not that I can blame them. I do want to give them a shoutout though because they were quick to respond to our requests and were extremely easy to work with.

I also headed over to our local Best Buy and purchased a small Hard Drive Camcorder. I have been wanting to play with video for a very long time, and this shoot was the perfect opportunity to see what we could do with it. The Fusion concept is a rapidly growing trend in Photography, especially as more SLR's gain the capability of shooting video. Understand, I have absolutely no desire to become a videographer, but the ability to merge short clips of video with awesome still images brings a new dimension to what we can offer our clients.

So below is our first attempt at a Fusion presentation, comments are welcome. It's not perfect by any means, but I am pretty proud of how it turned out. If anyone is interested in adding this option to their wedding package, please let me know. And with that VOILA! (Keep in mind that this is a low resolution video for web)





The Recipe for the session:

Hair and Makeup: KD Alexander's Perrysburg

Veil Provided By: C.R. Boggs Designs, Rhododendron OR

Props Provided By: Maumee Antique Mall, Craigslist

Locations: Toledo Amtrak Station, Crowne Plaza Aqua Bar, Fun Little Back Alley

Crew: Noelle Schumer (Photographer) Sam Adams (Photographer) Benjamin Adams (Video)

1 comment:

Noelle said...

Yay, so fun ! I love the video. My favorite part is at the end when she's jumping in the puddle. She was SUCH a trooper. I think everything turned out beautiful !